Beautiful Bhrigu Lake is a high-altitude lake in Himachal Pradesh’s Kullu district. The lake, which is one of the most well-liked trekking locations in the state, is located at an elevation of 4,300 meters above sea level. The lake is surrounded by verdant green meadows, snow-capped hills, and breathtaking vistas of the valley and is renowned for its unspoiled beauty. Numerous Hindu devotees travel there as a pilgrimage since it is also thought to be the home of Lord Vishnu.
From novices to specialists, this walk is perfect for them all. The Bhrigu lake trek’s moderate degree of difficulty makes it a fantastic choice for both specialists searching for a tough adventure and beginners who want to experience the excitement of trekking.
The town of Gulaba, which is around 20 km from the city of Manali, is where the Bhrigu Lake hike begins. The 7 km-long hike travels through numerous lovely meadows and woodlands. The hike also gives visitors the chance to explore the stunning alpine terrain and enjoy breathtaking views of the adjacent mountains and glaciers.
History of Bhrigu Lake Trek
The Bhrigu Lake trek has been around for centuries. The trek is believed to have been used by sages and ascetics as a spiritual retreat. The trek also has a great religious significance and is considered to be a sacred place.
The Bhrigu Lake trek is located in the Kullu Valley of Himachal Pradesh. The trek starts from the village of Manali, which is about 2,050 m above sea level. The trek is about 17 km long and takes about 5 to 6 days to complete.
Best Time to Trek
The best time to visit Bhrigu Lake is between the months of April to October. The summer months of June to September are the most popular time to visit the lake as the weather is quite pleasant and the snow has melted, making it easier to trek. However, it is important to note that the lake is often inaccessible during the winter months due to heavy snowfall.
Things to Carry
Trekking can be a challenging activity and it is important to be prepared for the trek.
- Backpack – A good quality backpack is essential to carry all the necessary items.
- Water Bottle – It is important to stay hydrated and carry at least two liters of water.
- Trekking shoes – A good pair of trekking shoes is essential to provide grip and comfort on the terrain.
- Sunscreen – Sunscreen is essential to protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays.
- Jacket – A warm jacket will help to keep you warm in the cold mountain climate.
- Torch – A torch is essential to provide light during the night.
- Snacks – Pack some snacks such as energy bars, dry fruits and nuts to keep you energized during the trek.
- First Aid Kit – Carry a first aid kit with you in case of any emergencies.
Day 1: Manali to Gulaba (20 km)
The trek begins from Manali with a drive to Gulaba which is around 20 km away. The journey takes about 1-2 hours and offers stunning views of the nearby mountains and valleys.
Day 2: Gulaba to Rola Kholi (7 km)
The trek from Gulaba to Rola Kholi is a moderate one and takes around 6-7 hours to complete. The trail passes through lush green meadows and forests and offers spectacular views of the surrounding valley.
Day 3: Rola Kholi to Bhrigu Lake (3 km)
The trek from Rola Kholi to Bhrigu Lake is a short but steep one and takes around 3-4 hours to complete. The trail is mostly covered in snow and provides views of the nearby glaciers and mountains.
Day 4: Bhrigu Lake to Manali (20 km)
The trek ends with a drive back to Manali. The journey takes around 1-2 hours and offers views of the nearby mountains and valleys.
Tips for Trekking
- Start Early – It is best to start the trek early in the morning as the weather is cooler and the views are better.
- Stay Hydrated – It is important to stay hydrated and carry at least two liters of water during the trek.
- Wear Layers – Wear layers of clothing to keep yourself warm in the cold mountain climate.
- Wear Sunscreen – Wear sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays.
- Carry a First Aid Kit – Carry a first aid kit in case of any emergencies.
The Bhrigu Lake trek is a moderate trek that is ideal for both beginners and experts. The stunning views of the nearby mountains, glaciers and valleys make it a great option for a weekend getaway. The trek is best done between the months of April to October and it is important to be prepared with the right gear and supplies. With the right preparation, the Bhrigu Lake trek is sure to be an unforgettable experience.